The CivilWeb UK DMRB Road Design Method Spreadsheet Suite is a set of easy to use design spreadsheets which can be used to complete the calculations for flexible road design in accordance with UK design standards. This suite includes 12 spreadsheets which complete all the required calculations.
The UK DMRB design method can be difficult to complete by hand. The design method includes multi-layer elastic analysis of tensile stresses and strains which are not suitable for hand calculations. The simplified version is suitable only for a limit number of design conditions and pavement types. The CivilWeb UK DMRB Road Design Method Spreadsheet Suite includes all the required elastic analysis tools required to complete the design.
The CivilWeb UK DMRB Road Design Method Spreadsheet Suite is available for purchase at the bottom of this page for only £10. Alternatively the full CivilWeb Flexible Pavement Design Suite is available for just £20.
UK DMRB Road Design Method
The design of flexible pavements in the UK is typically undertaken using empirical equations derived from experimental data. This design procedure was developed in the 1980s and has been found to suit UK conditions well. The UK DMRB method also correlates quite closely with the AASHTO 1993 method used in the US.
Empirical methods such as the UK DMRB method are well suited to the structural design of flexible roads as long as the loading and environmental conditions are similar to those used to derive the equations. This leads to empirical equations which work well for the most commonly encountered conditions.
However, empirical equations are not useful where the design conditions depart from the conditions used to derive the equations. By definition the empirical equations are only suitable for similar conditions. If the conditions deviate from these the empirical equations will not work. An alternative method must be used.
The CivilWeb UK DMRB Road Design Method Spreadsheet Suite includes a number of other spreadsheets which can be used to design the sub-base, capping materials and CBM foundation layers.
CivilWeb UK DMRB Road Design Method Spreadsheet Suite
The CivilWeb UK DMRB Road Design Method Spreadsheet Suite includes 12 different spreadsheets used to complete every part of the UK DMRB design method. The suite includes;
- Boussinesq Elastic Analysis Spreadsheet - This powerful spreadsheet completes all the required layer elastic analysis which is required as an input in the UK DMRB Road Design method. This analysis can be completed for either single layers or multi-layer systems.
- UK DMRB Road Design Spreadsheet - This spreadsheet takes the results of the elastic analysis and completes the design for standard UK asphalt types. This powerful spreadsheet can give results from an input strain or can output a maximum strain for use with other analysis programs.
- Non-Standard Asphalt Types - This spreadsheet completes the same design but uses asphalt property parameters to complete the design rather than using preset standard asphalt types.
- UK DMRB Nomograph Spreadsheet - This spreadsheet completes the calculations for a design in accordance with the simplified UK DMRB nomograph.
- Asphalt on High Modulus Base Design Spreadsheet - This spreadsheet completes the design for an asphalt on a high modulus base in accordance with the UK DMRB Road Design Method.
- Sub-Base and Capping Layer Design Spreadsheet - This spreadsheet completes the design of sub-base and capping layers in accordance with the UK DMRB Road Design Method.
- Sub-Base Design for Construction Traffic Spreadsheet - This spreadsheet can be used to design sub-base layers which are suitable for heavy loading during the construction period.
- UK CBM Layer Design Spreadsheet - This spreadsheet can be used to design CBM foundation layers for flexible roads.
- UK CBM Design Parameters Spreadsheet - This spreadsheet calculates some of the required design parameters needed for CBM foundation layer design including flexural strength and dynamic modulus.
- Foundation Layer Stiffness Calculator - This spreadsheet calculates the required foundation stiffness for various foundation classes as defined in the UK DMRB Road Design Method.
- HGV Proportion in Main Lane - This spreadsheet estimates the proportion of heavy traffic which is in the left hand lane based on UK road conditions.
- Soft Arrestor Bed Design - This spreadsheet calculates the required length of a soft arrestor bed according to UK standards.
The CivilWeb UK DMRB Road Design Method Spreadsheet Suite includes all the tools required to complete a structural flexible pavement design in accordance with the UK DMRB method. Unique analysis and optimisation tools allow the design to be complete in minutes.
Buy now for only £10
Or buy our best value bundle, the full Pavement Design Suite including flexible and rigid pavement spreadsheets for only £30
Download Free Trial Version
To try out a fully functional free trail version of this software, please enter your email address below to sign up to our newsletter.